1/18/11

In the garden

For the last month or so, the husband and I have spent countless hours prepping our new garden and yesterday it finally started to look like, well, an actual garden.  My parents have a 1/4 acre yard and for as long as I can remember my Mom has always wanted something done, yet never found the time to landscape.  When we moved back, we were given permission to plant till our hands fall off, as long as we take care of it.  Yesterday my husband and Dad set up a rain barrel for irrigation that way when we move out of the back house it is still taken care of.  The goal is to get a new place where we can still drive (or hopefully take BART) out to the garden on the weekend.

Anyway, we have been growing everything from heirloom seeds but picked up a few organic onions and romanesco broccoli that went straight in the ground.  In our greenhouse, we have tons of sprout-lings growing.  So far we have cauliflower, swiss chard, celery, peppers, artichokes, raspberries, blackberries, red cabbage, radishes, carrots, lettuces, spinach and a bunch of different flowers.  Whew, no wonder I'm tired.  But everyone loves it so far, including my parents dog who likes to follow us around on the rock and walk back and forth over the bridge.

Do you garden?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I would love to garden, except in Central NY, you can't garden until mid-April... at least! :)

I cannot wait to buy a house (hopefully this spring) and start our own garden this summer!