6/22/11

Make this, Cherry cornbread muffins

Now that cherries are in season I can't seem to get enough of them and it helps that all the local grocery stores have super low prices.  I had a craving for something sweet and knowing my husbands love of cornbread, decided to give mixing the two a try.  Total success.  Unfortunately I didn't realize how large of grain the cornmeal was, so mine were a bit course, next time its going into the food processor first.  And of course, I had to make a few with a little chocolate.  I just mixed in a few chocolate chips into the center of the batter before baking, if you're like me and can't wait till they are cool, the chocolate inside is all nice and gooey!
Cherry Cornbread Muffins
1 Cup flour
1 Cup cornmeal
1/2 Cup sugar
2 tsp baking powder
dash of salt
1 Cup milk substitute {I used rice milk}
1/4 Cup oil {I used canola}
1 egg replacer
Cherries, pitted and sliced in quarters

*Combine the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.  Mix well.  
*In a separate bowl, combine the milk, oil and egg replacer. {Pre mix egg replacer before adding to wet mixture}
*Combine wet and dry ingredients and mix well.
*Fold in cherries.
*Using a cookie scoop try to get just the mixture into the edges keeping the cherries from touching the edges, it gets super sticky.  Fill about 3/4.
*Bake at 350 for 15 minutes.  

No comments: