10/9/12

VeganMOFO day 5: A normal meal


Everyone always wonders what exactly we vegans eat on a regular ol day so I thought I would snap a picture of a midweek meal. I try to keep things as balanced as possible and when ever I can pick fresh fruits and veggies from the garden its always a plus. For this dish the husband and I dinned on baked yams with purple onion, mustard greens with bell pepper and lentils. Before growing our own mustard greens I had never had them before and it for sure was an acquired taste...it took about 3 times of eating them before I started to really like them but now they are my favorite. They have quite a bit so if you are trying them out for the first time and aren't a fan, give them another shot. Just to be sure. This meal was super easy to pull together, the entire plate was pulled together in under an hour.

To make the yams: I used 2 small/medium yams {sweet potatoes work too} chop up into little pieces and spread in a glass dish with about a table spoon of butter {Earth balance} and a teaspoon of olive oil. Bake at 400 for about 45 minutes. Throw in the onion around 20 minutes in otherwise the onion will be burned to a crisp. 
To make the greens: Chop up a good amount of mustard greens {approx. 3 cups, they cook down} and bell pepper. Saute pepper over medium heat until tender and then throw in greens. Sprinkle garlic powder to taste, I like it with a ton! Saute for about 5-8 minutes.

What are you favorite go to dishes that pack a punch of flavor?

No comments: