10/2/12

Vegan MOFO: day 2 Hearty pancakes

Before I came up with this recipe for pancakes it was like pulling teeth to convince my husband to accept pancakes as a good enough breakfast, something about just being a glorified cake, yada yada yada. But now that I add a few extra bits and pieces they not only still taste like cake {score one for me!} they also provide us with a bit of nutrition like vitamin E, folic acid, protein and fiber. I love to top my pancakes with fresh fruit like bananas, strawberries or blueberries and a splash of agave nectar. So delish!
Hearty Pancakes
1 Cup unbleached flour
3/4 Cup chickpea flour
1 Tbsp. flax seed
2 Tbsp. wheat germ
2 Tbsp. baking powder
1 Tbsp. {vegan} sugar
1 tsp. cinnamon
1 1/4 Cup rice milk
1/4 oil {I used canola}
1 Tbsp. vanilla
Earth balance for pan
*In a large bowl, whisk together all of the dry ingredients till blended well.
*Add in wet ingredients and stir just until blended. Try not to over stir or it will get a little elastic like.
*In a large pan place a little bit of butter over low/medium heat until melted. Pour batter and turn once they begin to bubble. 
Makes 6-7 medium sized pancakes.

These babies will keep you full for hours and taste oh so good. Just writing this makes me want to whip up a batch. And the best part, from start to finish is under 30 minutes!

**side note** I used a small and medium sized stainless steel pan to make these and found that the small pan made the pancakes nice and even. The medium pan seemed to make a rim around the edge of the pancake and the middles got a bit fluffy. Both taste great but if you are not used to a thicker batter and use a big pan you might be surprised by the look. Just sayin.

images by our designed life

1 comment:

Joshua Parker said...

These look so good, and its been a long time since I had pancakes. Thanks for the recipe.