10/26/12

VeganMOFO day 12: A raw tart

images by our designed life
One of the perks of living near the annual vegetarian society festival is getting to stop in on tons of workshops and demos. The husband and I got a chance to sit in on a raw food demo where we learned how to make a completely raw tart, something I never dreamed was so easy and tasty. In fact, it was so easy we ended up making our own version that night for a dinner party we were invited to. It came out ok, I used pineapple as the filling and well it never actually set since it was so watery, but even though it was more like a custard with crust it still tasted fantastic! To make the crust I modified the almond crust recipe from Raw Food made easy for 1 or 2 people by Jennifer Cornbleet. Again, since it was so last minute I didn't have a chance to gather all the ingredients of choice so I made do with what I could find at the grocery store under our building.

Almond Crust
2 Cups almond flour {I used a food processor to grind up raw almonds}
1 Cup dates 

To make the crust, simply put both ingredients in a food processor and process away. You don't want to over do it, just wait till it get sticky enough to be able to press into a pie tin. And you guessed it, press nice and firmly into a pie dish till it resembles a crust. Set aside in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.

Pineapple filling
1 pineapple
dates {I used about 8}
3/4 Cup shredded coconut

In a food processor blend till creamy. Pour into crust and let sit in the refrigerator for about an hour. I chose to add fresh strawberries and bananas on top which definitely gave it a bit of a wow factor and tasted fantastic with the pineapple. 

Again, it was a little runny but it all goes down the same, nice and tasty! And with the help of the husband we were able to whip this bad boy up in really no time. Seriously, I think I maybe spent a total of 10 minutes actually making it. I even braved a slightly numb mouth to get a slice or two in, being slightly allergic to pineapple wasn't enough to stop me from giving this a try!

No comments: