10/23/12

VeganMOFO day 9: Taquitos and kale salad

image by our designed life
One of my quick and go to meals has got to be a few tasty taquitos with a bit of a punch. I am a huge fan of meals that don't take too much time or effort and this sure is one of them. This particular evening I made fresh pinto beans- they take about an hour and a half to boil {you can use canned refried beans but fresh tastes oh so much better} and mixed it with soy chorizo. I get mine from Trader Joe's but you can usually find it in major grocery stores. 
To make these, simply warm up the beans and soy chorizo and wrap with a corn tortilla. Preheat the oven to 350 and line the taquitos in a small dish. Spray or drizzle the tortillas with olive oil and bake for about 15-20 minutes or until they get crisp at the edges. I like to serve with either salsa or guacamole for a little added tastiness!
I also served the taquitos with a massaged raw kale salad. I just leaned how to make this and let me tell you, you will want to have this on the side at every meal. Its so good even the husband gave me a high five during dinner. To make the salad I used half a bunch of kale {about 7 leaves} and de-stemed them. I added chopped red bell pepper, a bit of sea salt, a few shakes of garlic powder, a shake of cayenne pepper and a splash of tamari. Sorry I don't have exact measurements but the woman that taught me didn't give anything exact she just kept saying add what you feel. I know, totally hippie like. With the ingredients in a large bowl I added about a teaspoon of olive oil and with clean hands began giving everything a nice massage. A few minutes later the leaves were ready to eat and I had oh so soft hands, a total win win. This is a great way to get in a bit of kale with a ton of flavor, the perfect side dish for any meal. 

No comments: